Monday, November 21, 2011

Cookie Time!!

We have a little song that we sing in our house to signal "cookie time".  I wish that I could share it with you, but it just wouldn't translate via the written word.

Way back 3.5 years ago, Devin became the Percussion Ensemble Director for Duquesne University.  That very first semester, I decided to make cookies for their dress rehearsal.  I have made some sort of chocolate chip cookie every dress rehearsal since then.

Here is a picture of some of the ensemble with Devin on bass from last Tuesday's concert:


Side note:  here is a picture of my handsome husband in his new glasses:


A lot of times, I just make the chocolate chip cookie recipe that comes on the back of the Toll House Semi-Sweet chocolate chip bag.  You cannot go wrong with those.  In fact, I made a batch of them for this concert.  





I also decided to make a batch of crazy chocolate chip cookies to go along with these.  The crazy cookies are Three Chocolate Cookies from Paula Deen.  You know if Paula Deen made them, they are going to be good ya'll. They should be called Triple Chocolate Toffee Cookies, because oh yea, they have toffee in them too!  They are pretty nuts, and each cookie is 1/4 cup of dough.  I promised to take more pictures as I was baking, so I will go through the process of making these.

You need to start with softened butter and shortening.  Beat them together for a good while until they are nice and fluffy.



While that is going, I measure out my dry ingredients  When baking, you need to try and be precise.  That means leveling off the ingredients when you are measuring them.  Wisk the dry ingredients together.



Once the fats are all nice and airy, add in the plethora of sugars.  Beat those up until nice and fluffy, then add in the eggs (one at a time) and the vanilla.  I feel very strongly that you should always use pure vanilla extract.  It tastes so so so much better than imitation vanilla.  I get mine at TJ Maxx.  Spend a few extra bucks and pick up some good stuff, it honestly makes a difference.






Once everything is together, add in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.



Now here are the rest of the ingredients for the cookies.  That big black splotch is Janey wanting some chocolate.


You need to add a whole bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 cup of milk chocolate chips.  Then mix.



Next chop up 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and add that in along with 1 cup of toffee pieces.  Mix again.




Once everything is combined, you must immediately tell that little voice in your head that says not to eat cookie dough because it contains raw eggs to shut up!  Have some.  It is amazing!  Dare I say even better than the cookies!


Measure out 1/4 cup of dough for each cookie and flatten them out a bit. 




Stick them in the oven and then enjoy ya'll!



Last, I have to tell you about "the best cookies I have ever made."  Devin's words not mine.  Although they could be mine because these were darn good cookies.  They are Jessica's chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.  They really are so chewy and delicious.  I used my favorite whole foods dark chocolate chunks in the cookies.  There is a secret ingredient in these incredible cookies and it is…cinnamon!!  The cinnamon takes them over the top into perfection land.  You have to try these!!




I hope that is enough cookie recipes to keep you occupied until Christmas.  Last year a made so many cookies.  Too many cookies.  This year I think that I am just going to make these chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and my (famous?) cranberry-pistachio biscotti.  I will provide the recipe for those.  Biscotti is actually very easy to make and oh so good!

Before I go, I just want to give a shout out to all of my readers!  I really appreciate each and every one of you.  I have gotten a lot of really great feedback about my blog.  It seems that you just might love it as much as I do and that means so much to me! I want to thank you for all your comments via the comments section, emails and in person (or on the phone).  I cannot comment on a previous blog comment so I apologize that I have not gotten back to some of you.  I value all of your thoughts and opinions so keep the comments coming!

Last but not least, the girls:

Deeley cuddled up on the end table - look at that beard!


Janey being a cutie-


So Long!

No comments:

Post a Comment