Saturday, October 22, 2011

BBQ Seitan Tacos

This is another one of my vegetarian recipes. In fact, it is Devin's absolute favorite and certainly one of mine.  I feel like I am giving you two of my best recipes right out of the gate.  I hope I can come up with some good ones for a later date to keep you wanting to read my blog.

Anywho, this recipe involves seitan which is a wheat protein.  It is delicious and nutritious but just cries to have BBQ sauce put on it.  When you put the two together, it is pretty damn amazing!  Oh then when you put it in a taco shell with cheddar cheese it is really damn amazing!

Here is the rundown -

Seitan tends to come in strips and cubes.  I buy the strips.  Throw it in a pan over medium high heat with some olive oil.


I spend a lot of time breaking it up into small bits and getting it nice and browned.  Then, I turn the heat down to low and add in the BBQ sauce.  You do not need that much.  Just enough to coat it.


<<Warning>> If the pan is too hot when you put the sauce on, it splatters all over your stove and you may not be lucky enough to have a husband that will scrub it off for you (not without complaints of course).

Mix it all up, and you should get something like this:


I think it looks delicious, but then again, I know what it tastes like.  I am thinking that you may think it looks kind of gross.  What do you think?  I hope that you can work through the appearance.

I like to use hard shells for the tacos.  I had tacos a lot growing up, and always used hard shells.  I really only like hard shells.  They are still all I get at Mighty Taco.  I don't know why we never heated the shells up in the oven like the package says to, but let me tell you, you absolutely need to do it!  It brings out all the flavors and oils, and even more importantly, it keeps the bottoms from blowing out upon first bite.  Every hard shell is different, just read the package for instructions.  It is usually something like 3 minutes at 400 or 6 minutes at 325.

I like to put the cheese on the bottom so that between the warm shell and the hot seitan, it gets all melty.  Then we put on some lettuce and sour cream and devour.


They really are that good!  Be adventurous, try some seitan!

So Long!

No comments:

Post a Comment