Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Potato Gyros

Every May, the Greek church down the road from CMU has a Greek Food Festival.  It usually coincides with exams.  I remember going with Tracy to celebrate getting through our advanced stat qualifier, after stopping at Phi for a shot.  For years I would get the gyro.  I love the flavors of gyros.  Mostly the tzatziki sauce and the feta.  I would always ask for extra tzatziki.  Now that I am off of meat, I am definitely off of lamb and so I haven't had a gyro for a couple years.  I have since switched over to spanakopita.

Not too long ago, I came across this recipe for a Potato Gyro.  It does not taste exactly like a lamb gyro but it is still delicious.

You start by making the sauce.  Combine grated cucumber (be sure to squeeze the juice out), a minced clove of garlic, some lemon juice, a small container of greek yogurt (I used 0% Fage) and s&p.


Brown up some garlic in olive oil until browned and soft.  The recipe calls for adding raw red onion to the potatoes, but I do not like raw onion, so I cooked it up with the garlic.

Boil the potatoes until soft and then drain them.  Add in the garlic/oil/onion.  Also add in a big chunk of feta, s&p and mash it all up.  My potatoes were a little too dry and so I added in some milk to thin them out a bit.


Soften the pitas in the oven.  Then add on some potatoes, the lettuce (tomato if you like that sort of thing) and a good amount of tzatziki.  So yummy!


So Long!

No comments:

Post a Comment