Saturday, January 7, 2012

Blueberry Galette

According to wiki, a Galette is the general term used in French cuisine to designate various types of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes.  I sort of think of it as a freeform pie.

Galettes are awesome because they are not really supposed to look pretty like a pie is.  They are fun and rustic.  I made a lemon-blueberry galette, but you can put pretty much any type of fruit in it.

I used the leftover crust from when I made Devin's birthday apple pie.  You could certainly make crust just for a galette, or use a pre-made one.   I rolled the crust out until it was about a quarter inch thick.  It tore, I fixed it.  No biggie.  Remember, it is supposed to look like that.


I mixed together a pint of blueberries, some lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar, a pinch of salt and some cornstarch.  I did not really measure unfortunately.  I used half a lemon for zest and juice.  Probably about a teaspoon of cinnamon, quarter cup sugar and a tablespoon of cornstarch.



Then put it in the middle of the pie crust.



Note that the crust is on a foil lined baking sheet which has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Next, just pull up all of the sides of the dough.


Brush it with an egg that you have beaten and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.



I baked it 425 degrees for about 20 minutes.  You just need to keep checking on it.  You want the crust browned and the blueberries bubbling.




Cut yourself a big piece and make sure to add some vanilla ice cream!

So Long!

No comments:

Post a Comment