Saturday, January 14, 2012

Weekend Pancakes

These pancakes are … well … special.  They are absolutely delicious.  I really cannot even describe how good they are.  I have been making them for us pretty much every Saturday lately.  You should hopefully have everything you need to make these in the morning.

I modify this recipe from the Banana Sour Cream Pancakes by Ina Garten.  I love them exactly as printed in the recipe.  Devin however is not a fan of lemon and banana in his pancakes.  So, I have started leaving that stuff out and then mixing some additions into the pancakes as they cook.


So here is my recipe/method:

Sour Cream Pancakes
1.5 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 teaspoons salt
(whisk all this together in a big bowl)

0.5 cup sour cream
0.75 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (I have used skim and whole, both work fine)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla 
(whisk all this together in a medium sized bowl)

Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes before making the pancakes (heat your skillet up during this time).  This little trick is what makes the pancakes light and fluffy.


I usually cook the pancakes on medium heat.  Add a little butter to the pan, then use about 2-3 tablespoons of batter per cake.  Sprinkle on whatever you would like as soon as the batter goes in.  I like bananas.  Devin likes chocolate chips.  Flip the pancake once it is big and fluffy and there are bubbles popping through the top (notice the difference between bottom left and bottom middle (once you get to bottom middle, flip 'em)



Top with some butter and maple syrup and enjoy!

Make up all the batter and save the leftovers.  When you are ready for them, heat them up in the microwave in 20 second intervals until warmed.


Here are the girls while I was making breakfast.


So Long!

No comments:

Post a Comment