Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dough Dilemma

I made pizza dough (successfully) for the very first time a couple weeks ago!  I tried making it once before, years ago and I think our yeast went inactive and so the dough never rose.  That is one of the most disappointing things ever by the way.  It has scared me away ever since.  I decided enough was enough and  I bought some really good fast acting yeast from Whole Foods. It was finally time for me to try my hand at making pizza dough again.   With the help of my KitchenAide mixer, it honestly could not have been any easier to make.  

Here is the recipe that I used for the dough, but I made a different pizza than the one on this page.  I made a Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza.

The dough called for semolina flour and white flour.  I added that along with the other dry ingredients to my mixer while the yeast sat in some warm water with a pinch of sugar.  




Next, I added the yeast to the mixer and let it go.  


Then I added in some olive oil and put the dough hook on.  I was excited to finally use this attachment!  I only ever use the paddle or whisk, because I only ever use it for baking.  Then you just let it go and knead the dough for about 5 minutes.  



Next, you roll it into a ball and put it in a large greased bowl covered with a damp towel to let it rise.  I was so stinking excited when it got bigger. Thank God I had active yeast!


Once the dough doubled in size, I rolled it out.  



It turned out to be a lot of dough, i.e. a huge pizza.  I think next time (and there will be a next time, this is excellent dough), I will cut it in half and make two smaller pizzas (I ended up being worried that the very center of this one wasn't cooked and kept it in a little longer than I needed to).  I didn't have any cornmeal to put on the baking sheet, so I used polenta which actually might be cornmeal, I am not clear on that.  


Then I oiled up the dough and put on the fresh mottz.  




Next, I put on the chopped kale followed by the roasted sweet potato chips and red onions and then last but not least, some fresh rosemary.


I stuck it in the oven until it came out looking all pretty and smelling great!  



It was excellent with the exception of the very outer crust which got a little too done.  It was such an interesting and complex flavor combination.  Throw on a little franks and you have one good pizza!


So Long!

No comments:

Post a Comment